VADODARA: Industries in Waghodia-GIDC spent anxious moments early on Wednesday morning when major fire broke out in a private manufacturing firm. The incident occurred at Atmiya Engineering and Plastics that manufactures water coolers and water purifiers. Fire brigade officials said that the fire broke out in processing plant of the company at about 4 am. There was staff in the company but the number was less. None of the staff members suffered any injuries.
“We got a call at 4 am following which we rushed to the spot. It took us about six hours to bring the fire under control. The company’s machinery and stock went up in flames,” said fire brigade officer Bhargav Vyas. Two fire tenders from fire brigade and one from GAIL joined the fire fighting. Vyas said that fire broke out in the processing plant after a machine got overheated during manufacturing process.
“The fire caused by a blast also reached the assembly unit. It engulfed the raw material and stock of readymade products. The machines got damaged and a shed came down due to heat. The company officials said that they suffered losses of about Rs 20 crore. The machinery used for production itself is worth crore,” Vyas said.