Nitric acid spill leads to explosion at Indianapolis Rolls Royce plant, 8 taken to hospital

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (March 28, 2014)– Several people were injured after a chemical spill and explosion at Rolls Royce on the southwest side of Indianapolis.

Crews responded to the plant at 2059 S. Tibbs Ave. around 1:40 p.m. Officials said crews reported a chemical cloud inside the building.

Wayne Township officials said a nitric acid spill from a 250-gallon tank led to the explosion. The spill happened while transferring nitric acid.

According to Wayne Township Fire Department and Rolls Royce, nine people were hurt. Seven employees were taken to IU Health Methodist Hospital, one went to Eskenazi Hospital and another was treated at the scene. All employees are accounted for, the company said via Twitter.

The Marion County Public Health Department was called to the scene to monitor the air quality.

Nitric acid is a strong, colorless to yellow and odorless acid that can cause severe burns to eyes, skin, respiratory track and gastrointestinal tract. It is corrosive and can react explosively with other materials. Inhalation, ingestion or contact can result in injury, burns or death.

The plant remains evacuated due to air quality concerns. The company has canceled work for their second and third-shift employees.

via Nitric acid spill leads to explosion at Rolls Royce plant, 8 taken to hospital | Fox 59 News – fox59.com.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *