Spontaneous combustion of spray foam insulation cited in factory site fire

NORTHAMPTON — State fire investigators have determined a small fire Tuesday morning at a building under construction at the corner of Prospect and Jackson streets was accidental, caused by spontaneous combustion of leftover foam insulation on the second floor.

“The fire started in a room where they were spraying chemical foam insulation,” said Jennifer Mieth, a spokeswoman for the state fire marshal’s office.

“There was a pile of insulation left on the floor that spontaneously combusted,” she said.

The fire at the former Calvin ice cream factory building at 285 Prospect Street was called in around 6 a.m. It took 16 city firefighters and about 25 minutes to quell it, according to city Fire Chief Brian Duggan.

“The fire was easily contained,” he said in an interview Tuesday morning. Two engines and one ladder truck were at the scene.

No other fire departments were called to assist, Duggan said. “It was all Northampton apparatus because it wasn’t all that significant,” he said.

Duggan estimated the fire caused less than $3,000 in damage.

According to Duggan, no one was in the building at the time, a fact that was also confirmed by the state fire marshall’s office.

via Spontaneous combustion cited in fire at former Calvin ice cream factory in Northampton  | GazetteNet.com.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *