Fire that destroyed Goshen business started with wood grinder

(WSBT Photo)

(Photo by WSBT)

GOSHEN — A fire that destroyed a wood grinding business southwest of Goshen was caused by the company’s machinery, fire officials said.

Ten fire departments were called at 6:30 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 29, to Martin Animal Bedding, 21918 S.R. 119, on reports of a fire.

Fire crews remained on scene for more than seven hours, battling the blaze and then cleaning the location while they searched for hot spots.

Doug Gadson, fire investigator with Elkhart Township Fire Department, said he thinks some residue in the wood grinder had been smoldering until it finally ignited when it got enough oxygen.

The fire burned through hydraulic hoses and other parts of the machine, starting the fire. Gadson said anything could have caused the spark that left residue smoldering, including a nail that went through the machine.

The wood-grinder had not been used since Monday afternoon, Fire Chief Ryan Rheinheimer told The Goshen News.

Gadson said the grinder and the building were destroyed. A front-end loader received severe damage from the fire as well.

The grinder was located partially inside the building, on the south side.

This was not the first time the fire department had been called to a fire caused by its wood grinder. Todd Anderson, assistant director of the 911 Communications Center, said over the last five years, there were six calls to the business, all for fires caused by the wood grinder.

via Fire that destroyed Goshen business started with wood grinder.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *