Fire damages corn dryer

Grain dryer fire

 

HAVANA TOWNSHIP — A load of grain was lost after a fire started in a grain dryer on Tuesday morning, prompting a response from the Owatonna Fire Department.

The fire was called in just before 9:15 a.m. Tuesday on the 8200 block of 18th Street Southeast, to the east of Havana Township.

OFD Commander Travis Ahrens said the fire started in the dryer, but the cause wasn’t clear.

“It’s still under investigation as far as the cause and why it started on fire. It’s so hard to tell with this type of equipment,” Ahrens said.

When firefighters arrived, they found the machine producing light smoke, which may have been steam. There were no flames visible when crews arrived.

“It was just burning from the inside. It’s a grain, so it’s just going to burn and sit there,” Ahrens said.

Firefighters were forced to cut open parts of the dryer to get the grain out of the machine and extinguish it. Ahrens said the parts of the machine cut by firefighters can be repaired, but a majority of the grain inside the dryer was a loss. The fire caused no injuries.

The fire department cleared the scene at about 11:15, roughly two hours after the original call came in. Assisting the fire department were deputies from the Steele County Sheriff’s Office and crews from Steele-Waseca Electric Cooperative.

via Fire damages corn dryer east of Havana Township – Owatonna MN: News.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *