CHEVERLY, Md. –
Three transformers caught fire around 7:30 Thursday night at the main power plant for Prince George’s County Hospital in Cheverly.
PG Fire officials report three transformers in the boiler room caught fire. Firefighters had to wait until Pepco cut the power to fight the fire.
The hospital had to go to emergency generator power and “mini-disaster” status. Patients transported in ambulances or helicopters were sent to other hospitals.
A hospital spokeswoman, Erika Murray, says emergency surgeries will proceed Friday. But elective surgeries will be rescheduled. Those patients are being contacted.