MOORHEAD â€“ Moorhead firefighters responded to an electrical fire here Wednesday morning in one of the sugar beet storage buildings at the American Crystal Sugar plant.
Moorhead Fire Department Assistant Chief Jeff Wallin said fire crews were called about 7:30 a.m. to the sugar beet processing plant at 2500 11th St. N.
The fire started in an electrical panel in the storage building and involved both stories of the building, Wallin said. Thick smoke made it hard to see exactly how many electrical panels were burning.
Wallin said the company was able to cut power to the building within about the first three minutes fire crews arrived, allowing them to fight the fire.
He did not know whether any product was damaged.
Wallin said the fire appeared to be out by about 8:20 a.m., but crews remained on the scene to make sure it didnâ€™t flare up again. Two engine trucks and one ladder truck responded to the fire.
No damage estimate was available yet.