Dust collector fire at plywood business burns worker

NJAF: Another dust collector fire… Always keep in the mind the challenges and dangers presented by combustible dust situations.

A wood processing machine at Inland Plywood in Cocoa caught fire, injuring one worker and destroying the machine, estimated to be worth about $25,000.

Workers smelled smoke and noticed the dust collector was on fire, according to a release. Employees used at least five fire extinguishers trying to fight the blaze – one 51-year-old worker suffered second degree burns on his arm from a dust explosion. He was treated and released on scene.

Cocoa Fire Department responded to 256 Olive Street at about 11:30 a.m. to find heavy smoke coming from the north side of the building, which houses a large amount of plywood and particle board.

They called for help from Rockledge and Brevard County firefighters. Firefighters went into the building, quickly finding and extinguishing the fire in a machine that collected saw dust. The fire was contained to the machine.

Afterward, firefighters used an air boat from the Brevard County Sheriff’s Office to blow the lingering smoke from the building.

via Fire at Cocoa plywood business burns worker | FLORIDA TODAY | floridatoday.com.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *