RALEIGH, N.C. – A chemical fire started Sunday at a Raleigh business, sending potentially dangerous smoke into the air.
Hazmat teams were part of the response at the Surtronics facility at 4001 Beryl Road.
The area was blocked off for hours, as police and fire officials tried to determine the safety of the air, as well as put out the fire.
Its believed stored chemicals were ignited, but its unclear exactly how it started or why. It also wasn’t known Sunday night, how many, if any, employees were inside the building at the time of the fire.
Fire officials did not say Sunday night what chemicals were burning. WNCN’s reporter at the scene reported a strong odor in the air near the scene.
Surtronics was founded in 1965, and is family owned–the owner residing in California. It is a metal coating facility.