Industrial equipment fire causes extinguisher explosion at MI business

(WZZM) — Firefighters say a piece of industrial equipment caught fire at southwest Grand Rapids warehouse, leading to concerns about a larger blaze.

Crews say the fire was on a front-loader used to pick up scrap metal at Louis Padnos Iron & Metal at Gelock Place and Butterworth St. SW.

According to firefighters, the loader fire caused a nearby fire extinguisher to explode. There were no other explosions.

The building’s sprinklers and Grand Rapids Fire crews were able to quickly put out the fire. No one was injured.

GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) — Firefighters responded to an industrial fire on the city’s southwest side Friday evening after reports of explosions inside a warehouse.

The fire began around 9:30 p.m. near Olive Avenue and Emperor Street SW at Louis Padnos Iron & Metal.

According to scanner traffic, firefighters were experiencing heavy smoke and low visibility, but not much fire.

WZZM 13 has a crew on the scene and will have more information as details become available.

via Industrial equipment fire causes extinguisher explosion at Grand Rapids business |

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *